Landmarks・Kamakura

Tsurugaoka Hachimangu

Tsurugaoka Hachimangu began in 1063 when Minamoto no Yoriyoshi enshrined a branch of Iwashimizu Hachimangu at Yuigo (near today's Zaimokuza). Minamoto no Yoritomo moved it to its present site in 1180, and after a fire in 1191 it was reorganized into the current layout of an upper shrine (Hongu) and lower shrine (Wakamiya). It has long been venerated as the guardian shrine of the Kamakura shogunate and the samurai class.

Featured quiz

Featured in the Kamakura quiz (≈31 questions touch on this).

Take on this quiz

Appears in articles

Related terms

Sources

‹ Kamakura glossaryAll terms