Landmarks・Kamakura

Jomyoji

Jomyoji ranks fifth among the Five Mountains of Kamakura. Founded in 1188 by Ashikaga Yoshikane with Taiko Gyoyu as founding priest, it began life as an Esoteric Shingon temple named Gokurakuji before later converting to Zen and being renamed Jomyoji after the posthumous name of Ashikaga Sadauji. The Ashikaga clan graves stand within its grounds.

Featured quiz

Featured in the Kamakura quiz (≈6 questions touch on this).

Take on this quiz

Related terms

Sources

‹ Kamakura glossaryAll terms